• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repairing credit + negotiating debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GhostofXmas

2007 I got very ill and was laid off from my job (not due to illness)

I was unemployed for about 3 months and did eventually take a temp job but it wasn't enough to cover my bills so I ended up moving in with a friend. By the end of 2007 I had given up on my bills. I wish I hadn't but I was overwhelmed and didn't know what to do. I let everything go to collections. When I was able to pay the debts...I did. The ones that I lost track of ended up on my credit report.

Now I'm trying to repair the damage and not sure where to start.

The first debt was a utility company. On my credit report is says "Paid Collection" I did write them a letter asking them if they would remove it.

I have 4 medical bills that were sent to collections that total about $2000. I did not pay these. I know they are my debts but I believe I should have received some sort of assitance since I was unemployed at the time. If not...I'll pay them. If I repay this debt will they remove the negative items? Or will they just be listed as "Paid" Can I negotiate these to be removed?

The third debt is a cell phone company that I have not paid. It is Verizon and I do remember having a $200 bill at the time of disconnection and an early termination fee. The collection is for over $700 and I don't believe that is accurate. What should I do in this case?

The fourth collection account is for a credit card that I believe I paid but do not have proof. It is only $200 and has not been updated since the end of 2007. Is it possible that this is a mistake?

The LAST debt is for breaking the lease on my apartment. I have been making payments on this debt but can I negotiate to pay a lump sum smaller than the actual debt?

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">