• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

repaying debts/im receiving disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seeknganswers

Hi...I live in Nevada...
Im trying to figure out what I should do in order to repay my debt.

I have been on disability for the last 2 years and there was a debt collection attorneys office that had sent me papers in January 2008 indicating that my creditors had filed paperwork with the court, I replied to the court and sent the debt attorneys office a reply stating I was disabled and only making $900 a month and could not afford the payments of $150 in which they had been requesting. I didnt hear anything from them this whole time and they still havent continued with the court proceedings. However I did contact the debt collection to see if they would work with me in trying to resolve the matter as it is my debt and I did incur it. I sent them written proof that I was disabled and they lowered my debt from $6100 to $4200 and froze the account from further accruing any other charges...they dropped the payment monthly to $30 based only upon the signing of a JUDGEMENT STIPULATION which I have not received as of yet. Im really uneasy about signing such paperwork. Is this the best option that I have? so many people haved told me not to pay anything because they cannot touch my disability if is not deposited into a bank. The thing is for all I know I could get better and will no longer be disabled in the next two years as people have fully recovered from my condition. I just dont want to wake up one day and see that these charges have exceeded $10,000 and where would that leave me? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

nrknlknek

A Judgment Stipulation is just that. By signing, you agree to have a judgment levied against you which is a serious matter, but perhaps your only reasonable alternative. You really need some legal counsel in your state to better understand your exemption rights. I realize that retaining a lawyer may not be feasible. However, if you reside near a law school, you may want to call and see if they have a free legal clinic. Failing that, I would call your local bar association which may have a free service or they may just refer you to an attorney who will take your file on a pro bono basis. Good luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">