• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Respond to Civil court summons on debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brandx

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I have received a summons for old credit card debt. I need to respond to the civil summons that has binding arbitration. Any quick suggestions?

prestonlewis99

summons?

What court is the "summons" from? My son recently was 'served" with a very realistic looking "lawsuit" demanding payment or appear at an arbitrator's office. Knowing court summons don't usually tell you to appear anywhere other than the courthouse, I checked it out and discovered the realistic looking "court documents" were phony. Simply another way to try to get cash out of a debtor and if that failed, have them show up at a paid arbitrator's office where the outcome is ensured since the debt collector pays the arbitrator.

So what "court" is listed on your summons? Call them. go down and verify it's a real court summons.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">