• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Room Mates Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CamCag

Florida
So long story short. My roommate that owes me for covering his rent for 4 months. He wrote a check to me around 2 months ago and told me the next day not to cash it due to the fact hes not wise with his money. So with him once being my friend I put the check away. We are not roommates any more and i'm still in a loss. Now I have this legitimate check that I found when unpacking. Would it be unlawful to cash it?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Florida
So long story short. My roommate that owes me for covering his rent for 4 months. He wrote a check to me around 2 months ago and told me the next day not to cash it due to the fact hes not wise with his money. So with him once being my friend I put the check away. We are not roommates any more and i'm still in a loss. Now I have this legitimate check that I found when unpacking. Would it be unlawful to cash it?
Not unlawful. But quite frankly, if there is no money in the account and the check bounces, you may find yourself even deeper in the hole. Want to risk it?

I'mTheFather

Or, he can deposit the check to his account and not use the money until he's sure the check has cleared. If it bounces, he may be charged a small fee, but it may be worth the chance.

It may also be possible for him to ask the teller to check with his friend's bank to see if there are funds to cover the check.

single317dad

I rarely accept checks, but when I do I take them to the bank they're written on and cash them there. They'll check that the funds are available before cashing. Sometimes there's a fee, up to $8.

My roommate that owes me for covering his rent for 4 months... We are not roommates any more and i'm still in a loss.
From the information you've provided, I'm assuming (though it's not entirely clear) that he still actually owes you this money. Is that correct? He hasn't compensated you in any other way for the same money this check was intended to cover?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">