• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sallie Mae - I never authorized the loan.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

celloshred

CALIFORNIA

In 2006 I co-signed for my brothers student loan.

Sallie Mae uses electronic signatures via email instead of live signatures.

I found out recently that a SECOND loan (2005) was signed without my knowledge. It has my name/social/etc but my mothers phone # and email address under co-signer info. Also has incorrect income, lack of employment info, etc.

I submitted requests to 3 credit bureaus to validate the debt. So far Equifax came back and said its valid because Sallie Mae said it was.

QUESTION:
1. is there a statute of limitations for suing to get my name off of the loan I had no knowledge of?
2. on what grounds would I even be able to file a complaint?

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The "second" loan was taking out a year before the "first" loan?

In any case, you will need to pursue criminal identity theft charges against the person that did this.

Antigone*

CALIFORNIA

In 2006 I co-signed for my brothers student loan.

Sallie Mae uses electronic signatures via email instead of live signatures.

I found out recently that a SECOND loan (2005) was signed without my knowledge. It has my name/social/etc but my mothers phone # and email address under co-signer info. Also has incorrect income, lack of employment info, etc.

I submitted requests to 3 credit bureaus to validate the debt. So far Equifax came back and said its valid because Sallie Mae said it was.

QUESTION:
1. is there a statute of limitations for suing to get my name off of the loan I had no knowledge of?
2. on what grounds would I even be able to file a complaint?

Thank you
1 ~ You will have to start by filing a police report and naming the person who stole your identity.
2 ~ The grounds - Identity theft.

3 ~ I suggest that you talk to your brother about getting an attorney because if you want this obligation removed, Sallie Mae will go after the ID thief.

swalsh411

If you think you will be able to get out of it without your brother facing criminal charges you are mistaken.

So you have to ask yourself which is the outcome you would prefer to see

-your brother in prison
-you on the hook for the loan.

Choose one.

StephenH

You need to:

1) Contact Sallie Mae and ask for a fraud investigator. You need to file an affidavit that you never applied for this loan.

2) File a report with the police

3) Go to http://www.annualcreditreport.com and make sure there are no more accounts on your credit report that are unauthorized

4) Call the credit Bureaus and put a fraud alert on your profile.

If they find who did this, they will be charged with criminal identity theft.

csi7

You need to file a complaint with the state attorney general office as well.

There are a lot of schools under investigation for student loan fraud, both with co-signers, public, private, in school loans, and it will be important to keep track of who you talk with, telephone number, name, time and date, and you can get a congressional inquiry (this is a formal complaint through your congress representative and/or senator)to find out more information about this business with Sallie Mae.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">