• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Snerdguy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am disabled. A person who I thought was my friend has deceived, scammed, borrowed from me again and again until he owes me $12,500.00. He apparently used much of it for drugs instead of getting his life together and getting a job. He accepts responsibility for doing this and still swears up and down that he will pay me back. Would suing him be the right way to go to be able to take further actions to collect this debt?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I am disabled. A person who I thought was my friend has deceived, scammed, borrowed from me again and again until he owes me $12,500.00. He apparently used much of it for drugs instead of getting his life together and getting a job. He accepts responsibility for doing this and still swears up and down that he will pay me back. Would suing him be the right way to go to be able to take further actions to collect this debt?

The amount is too big for small claims; you'd have to sue him in a higher court. It will cost you money. Even if you win, you then have the problem of trying to collect on any judgment.

More money to spend.

Eekamouse

I don't think the person actually stole from OP. Sounds like he just kept coming to OP with sob stories that OP bought. OP, good luck in ever seeing a penny from your friend.

Proserpina

I don't think the person actually stole from OP. Sounds like he just kept coming to OP with sob stories that OP bought. OP, good luck in ever seeing a penny from your friend.

Nope, I don't think the person stole, either.

This appears to be a simple case of someone wanting to help, and unfortunately buying into whatever tale was told at the time.

swalsh411

You can't give somebody money and then expect to sue them when they don't spend it on what you wanted them to. It's called a gift.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">