• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

School says I owe them money..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zero123

After fall of 2012 I formally withdrew from a private art school. I left on good terms and was told that I was welcome back at anytime. Weeks later I submitted for my Official transcript and was given one weeks later without any issues. I transferred to a community college in the Spring of 2013 and have been attending since. Now that I am ready to move on to a University I need transcripts from the art school; however, this time they will not release them because of a balance due. In order to obtain the first Official transcript I could not have a balance on my account. How do I develop a balance to a school I am no longer attending? I asked several former students and discovered that this is an on going issue. Several have had to take legal action to settle things. Lastly while searching through my student loans online, I found that during the fall of 2012 I was awarded full loans but on July 11 2013 half the loans were canceled. I was already transferred and attending the community college at this time. What is the best course of action? I know that I do not owe them money. I never had any issues registering for new semesters, attending classes or obtaining my Official transcript when I withdrew. Thanks for any help.

LdiJ

After fall of 2012 I formally withdrew from a private art school. I left on good terms and was told that I was welcome back at anytime. Weeks later I submitted for my Official transcript and was given one weeks later without any issues. I transferred to a community college in the Spring of 2013 and have been attending since. Now that I am ready to move on to a University I need transcripts from the art school; however, this time they will not release them because of a balance due. In order to obtain the first Official transcript I could not have a balance on my account. How do I develop a balance to a school I am no longer attending? I asked several former students and discovered that this is an on going issue. Several have had to take legal action to settle things. Lastly while searching through my student loans online, I found that during the fall of 2012 I was awarded full loans but on July 11 2013 half the loans were canceled. I was already transferred and attending the community college at this time. What is the best course of action? I know that I do not owe them money. I never had any issues registering for new semesters, attending classes or obtaining my Official transcript when I withdrew. Thanks for any help.
You may also have to sue them.

zero123

I got a copy of my official transcript my community college has on record from them and brought it to show on Friday. They basically refused to look at it and would not offer any help. I was not allowed to make an appointment or given the contact information of anyone in charge. She told me that a statement was in the mail and to pay it. I called a satellite campus based in another state and actually got to talk with someone. The financial advisor there assured me that i could not have the official transcript I have if a balance was due previously. All she could do from there was submit an e-mail to the campus I attended. My e-mails have gone unanswered, calling goes no where and showing up in person has similar results.

Dave1952

If I follow you, you attended the art school through the Fall semester of 2012 and then transferred to a Community College for the Spring of 2013. That means that you got your transcripts while you were still in the art school. You may have run up debts after the transcripts were issued. How big a debt are you supposed to have? Are we talking library fines or tuition?

zero123

After fall 2012 I formally withdrew from the institution. I had to submit an e-mail and attended a meeting with the advisors. During the meeting I was told I was leaving in good standing and welcome back at anytime. A couple weeks after being withdrawn from the school I submitted for my official transcripts and received them. I was no longer part of the art school.

zero123

They are claiming I owe tuition. Tuition is to be payed in full at the start of each semester or you cannot continue to attend classes. I used loans/grants to pay tuition. I never had any issues attending classes and completed each semester I was there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're going to need to get a good answer from them. I suspect that you were told you were in good standing because any tuition due was covered by the loans. Once the loans were cancelled (even partially), you owed some on the tuition.

How much money are they asking for?

zero123

According to the student handbook loans can only be cancelled (partially) if the student fails to attend 60% of the semester. I attended the full semester. Not sure why half was cancelled. I dont know the exact balance yet. They are taking a long time to provide a statement

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">