• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sent to collection.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Fl and ny

I had a roofing business in FL send me a bill. This happened back in 2010. I had moved to NY and sold my place in early 2009. The bill was for roofing repairs done in the summer of 2010.

I wrote back. I told them that I had no idea who they were. I was not the person who contracted for the work as I neither lived there, And I wasn't the owner of the property where the work was done at the time it was done.

I received a notice of a bill owed ... This was sent by a bill collector. In 2012. I sent a copy of the original letter (and bill) to the collection agency. Never heard another word. Now in 2015 I am finding a judgement against in on my credit report. I am baffled. I called the number to ask who they were. I found out that they sued me! In FL. Notice was sent (nail and mail) but of course it was never delivered as the 6 month forwarding had long since expired.

I never had the chance to defend myself..I never knew about this. How can they sue me in FL when they knew I lived in NY? (Return address on my letter).

I wrote to the 3 credit bureau to challenge this. The collection agency responded that they had the court judgement, therefore it stands.

How to I get this mess undone? And how do it get my credit repaired? And how do I get a letter of apology sent to the finance company that just turned me down over all this? This can't be legal

justalayman

You will have to file to have the judgment set aside in the court that entered the judgement. You may be able to have most if not all of this dealt with by an attorney in Florida if travelling is not possible. I would contact the court the rendered the judgement to see if you could get any info and hopefully a copy of the files sent to you. From there I would start checking to see what you could do from a distance.

If you cannot get any info over the phone, internet, or sent to you, you will either have to hire an attorney local to the court or travel there yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">