• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sent to collections over medical bill/ provider failed to file claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Preytac

State: Illinois

Hello everyone,

So, I was hospitalized for a spontaneous pneumothorax twice last summer on July and August of 2014. I had a pending application for medicaid at the time of hospitalization, I was told I qualified and the medicaid liaison at the hospital helped me reapply due to an error in the original application. I received my medical card in october which was then added to my hospital file, at which point all of the hospital's departments should have filed a claim.

On 05/13/2015, I received a letter from the collection agency for charges owed to the Anesthesia department for the full bill of $6,924.00. I called the hospital and all other departments which had billed me to confirm all bills had been paid. All of them, except for the Anesthesia department had been billed to medicaid correctly and did not reflect an outstanding balance.

Today, I called the Anesthesia department who sent me to collections to request the date of which my file was claimed to the insurance. I was told that my file had not been claimed and that it was strange that they had not, since they had my insurance information on file since november 2014. She spoke with her supervisor which sent an email to the collection agency to put my case on hold, at the point she mentioned that they would send the claim to the insurance, but did not know if it would be accepted due to not being filed in a timely manner. She mentioned that they were waiting for my member id, which I asked if its the equivalent of a policy number which was on a bill they sent me in November with the correct insurance information which they failed to claim.

I was told it would take 60 days to process the claim as of today, and that I should wait for a correspondence if the insurance company rejects the claim, which I believe it probably will.

My questions are:
1. Who is responsible for the charges if they had the proper information to file a claim but did not do so in the allotted time? (I believe it is 180 days for medicaid in Illinois). **Note; They claimed they were waiting for my policy number, which I stated it was on my bill of november 2014.

2. In regards to the collection agency, I had prepared a letter requesting validation of my debt, now that it is on hold should I still send this letter, and should I mention that Anesthesia department failed to process the claim?

3. Is their anything else I should be doing, such as someone i should be contacting?

I am 20 years old and I'm transferring out of my community college to DePaul university. I am building my credit and I don't want this to affect me for the next 7 years. Any advice would greatly be appreciated in handling this situation.

Thanks for all of your help and taking the time to read my post.
Daniel.

Dave1952

1) You are responsible for paying your bills. Most likely your insurer has a standard procedure for dealing with late bills. Call your insurer in a couple of weeks to find out what they are doing.
2) Send the collection agency a letter to confirm that the Anes. Dept has put your billing on hold. Do not phone, write and post.
3) I'd follow up with Hosp. Collections on this "member ID"/policy number confusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">