• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sent a payment but they said it was late

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prishpreed

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was behind on HOA dues and I got a letter from the management company (not collections) that said I owed a certain amount. The due date was NOV 30.

NOV 26 - I sent a personal check on to an address only 10 miles away. No tracking number and not certified (oops).

NOV 26 - I left a courtesy voicemail to the Accounting dept (which is just one person, my contact person) letting her know that the check had been mailed.

NOV 30 (due date) - I called first thing in the morning to confirm that they received my check but I got voicemail. I left a message asking them to call me back. No callback. I also sent an email asking them to let me know if they did not receive it. No response.

DEC 1 - I called again, got voicemail, and I left message asking if they received the check. Also emailed. No response.

DEC 2-6 - The check still not cashed. I left multiple voicemails and emails.

DEC 12 - The check still not cashed. I called, left voicemail, another email.

DEC 13 - I finally got an email back from someone else saying the person in Accounting no longer works there and they were following up on that person’s emails to make sure nothing “gets lost” during the transition and they apologized for the delays. So i responded asking if they received my check. She immediately wrote back saying they did but the check was forwarded to their collections attorney. I asked if that means it wasn’t received on time and will i be charged extra fees, to which she responded with “i will follow up with you tomorrow with that info”.

DEC 14 - No follow up as promised so i emailed. No response.

DEC 15 - The check still had not been cashed so I call and left voicemail. I emailed and got an auto response saying they are closed for the holidays until JAN 3.

DEC 16 - I receive a letter in the mail from the collections attorney that says the check I sent was not received in time, therefore there is a new dollar amount due. The outstanding payment was increased by $750 because of collection fees, late fees, and legal fees and costs, due JAN 3. They also returned my original check that was stamped with “Received DEC 2”.

DEC 16 - I called collections attorney to discuss. The receptionist sent me to my case manager but I got voicemail. Left message. No callback.

DEC 19-21 - Over the next few days, I called collections attorney many times, got voicemail. Left messages. No callback. If I call enough, surely they will call me back, right?

DEC 27 - I finally got a callback from collections attorney that says the check was received by the HOA management company on DEC 2, which was 6 days after I sent it, first class mail, 10 miles away. Very hard to believe, though. She asked if I sent it with a tracking number and I said no, so she said i would have to prove that they received it on time and "good luck with that". I told her that i made multiple attempts to contact the HOA management company to make sure they received it and that there was a change in employees, etc. She said there was nothing i can do. If the check truly arrived late, then yes, i understand - I am in the wrong. However, I just can't believe that it was late. I think that the change in employees probably caused the check to not be procesed on time. And that if they had returned my calls or emails to let me know the check hadn't arrived, i could have driven over there to drop off a new check in time, but they just ignored almost every message I left.

She said that I am not allowed to contact the HOA Board of Directors or the HOA management company regarding this issue. So, I requested a hearing with the BOD. But the HOA management company is closed until JAN 3 and the new payment is due JAN 3.

I read there is a Postmark Act of 2014 that seems to be that they must use the postmark date as the received date but I am not sure if that will hold up, especially if they no longer have the envelope. I have no proof that I sent it on that date or that it was received on or before the due date.

So, my question is... is there any way I can get around this new $750 fee by proving their lack of communication or am I just screwed?

Thank you in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You knew the stakes - why didn't you simply drive over and drop the check off? It boggles the mind...

We aren't able to review your HOA agreement to find out if the additional fees are warranted or not (that is beyond the scope of this forum.) You may wish to have a local attorney review this matter, it will likely only cost $250-$750, but that's a guess...

FlyingRon

There is no such law as the Postmark Act of 2014. There was a bill introduced to the House of Representatives called "The Postmark Payment Act of 2014," and as with severeal prior attempts, it never managed to even get out of committee.

Since this is a HOA debt which didn't arise from a postal act, it's not considered received until actually delivered.

I'd be rattling cages at the HOA board as to why their management company wasn't processing the checks in a timely fashion. You'll want to do this BEFORE you even think of a lawsuit. I've had exactly the same thing happen to me. It's often not at the discretion of the processor to make these "corrections" without direction from the association (as represented by the board).

prishpreed

You knew the stakes - why didn't you simply drive over and drop the check off? It boggles the mind...
Looking back, yeah I totally should have done that. I'm not sure why I didn't. I was just in the mindset of "ooooh, that's right, I made this payment on time, woohoo!" when I put the check in the mail. I could have spent the extra money on a tracking number, certainly cheaper than fees I'm facing now. But again, I was pretty confident I sent it in time.

prishpreed

There is no such law as the Postmark Act of 2014.
Ok, that's what I figured since there wasn't much info online about it other than the actual bill language. I don't think it would have helped me without me having proof of the postmark anyway. Thanks for the info.

I think I'll just show the board my attempts at getting confirmation and hopefully the lack of communication on behalf of the property management is enough to have them forgive the extra fees. I'm not expecting much but it's all I can do.

Thanks for the info!

adjusterjack

Sorry, but unless you have EVIDENCE that it got in the door on Nov 30 (and you don't) you are pretty well sunk.

HOA's take a hard line with late payers so don't count on any forgiveness here. You were already in default when you got the late letter that gave you the opportunity to avoid the collection agency.

And the longer you wait to satisfy the collection agency, the more it's going to cost you.

Like I used to tell my tenants, "If you don't like the consequences of paying late, don't pay late."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">