• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sent a Validation Letter, two months later still no response

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeffy25

Missouri.

I got a debt collection notice in the mail in Jan. I did not recognize what the debt was for, and the company didn't have much of a history that I could find (Afni, from Bloomington, IL).

I sent a validation letter in January, and another in February. And since then have not gotten any response or any other attempts to collect the debt.

I wasn't too worried about it since it wasn't on my credit report, but it just now showed up. So they still haven't tried to contact me, I still don't know what the collection is for, and when I call the number I sat on hold for literally 32 minutes without anyone picking up.

So I want it either removed or to at least be informed what the debt is if I do actually need to pay it.

I have a copy of my signed validation letters still, can I just send a letter to the credit bureaus saying they never responded to my validation letter or do I need to do something else?

Any help would be great, have a great credit report otherwise. And if I do owe it, I have no problem just paying it, but I'm not going to pay something that I don't believe is mine, or at least don't know what it is.

Thanks,
Jeffy

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Missouri.

I got a debt collection notice in the mail in Jan. I did not recognize what the debt was for, and the company didn't have much of a history that I could find (Afni, from Bloomington, IL).

I sent a validation letter in January, and another in February. And since then have not gotten any response or any other attempts to collect the debt.

I wasn't too worried about it since it wasn't on my credit report, but it just now showed up. So they still haven't tried to contact me, I still don't know what the collection is for, and when I call the number I sat on hold for literally 32 minutes without anyone picking up.

So I want it either removed or to at least be informed what the debt is if I do actually need to pay it.

I have a copy of my signed validation letters still, can I just send a letter to the credit bureaus saying they never responded to my validation letter or do I need to do something else?

Any help would be great, have a great credit report otherwise. And if I do owe it, I have no problem just paying it, but I'm not going to pay something that I don't believe is mine, or at least don't know what it is.

Thanks,
Jeffy
They don't have to respond to your request.

Zigner

Then what is someone supposed to do if they won't communicate in any way?

And what is the point of a validation letter if they don't respond?
If they don't properly respond to a proper DV request, then they are supposed to stop collection activities. It seems to me that they have done that.

(Posting this on your credit report doesn't count as a "collection activity.")

Jeffy25

If they don't properly respond to a proper DV request, then they are supposed to stop collection activities. It seems to me that they have done that.

(Posting this on your credit report doesn't count as a "collection activity.")
That makes sense.

Now the $64,000 question. How do I get this removed from my credit report?

Zigner

That makes sense.

Now the $64,000 question. How do I get this removed from my credit report?
Write a letter to the CRA (Credit Reporting Agency) stating that you feel it is an error. They will confirm with the party listing the item.

swalsh411

You follow the well-established procedure to dispute a record on your credit report. There are about a gazillion web pages on the topic.

hambirg

Also Google AFNI Collections Scam. There's a good chance that you don't now, nor ever have, owed this debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">