• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SOL for CC debt in TN

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

winnerTN

What is the name of your state? TN

I have researched, and found conflicting reports on the SOL in TN for CC debt. Some sites say 3 yrs, some 6.

Also, found a site that says it differs by county and/or city. I live in Nashville (Davidson County)

Do some states differ by city or county? I have called the States Attorney General's office and have gotten the run around.

Thanks for any info!!

winnerTN

thanks, but..

Applicable Cities: Chattanooga, Clarksville, Davidson, Franklin, Jackson, Johnson City, Kingsport, Knoxville, Memphis, Murfreesboro, and Nashville.
Interest Rate Charged:
Legal -> 10%
Judgement -> 10%

Statute of Limitations (in years): Open Account -> 3 years
Written Contract -> 6 years
Promissory Note -> 6 years
Domestic Judgement -> 10 years
Foreign Judgement -> 10 years

Bad Check Law: -> Considered as Civil Penalty
-> Treble damages; maximum $500 + Court & Attorney Fees + 10% Interest

Wage Garnishment Exemptions: 75% of disposable earnings per week, or amount equal to 30 x federal minimum hourly wage, whichever is greater.

from this site...http://www.3debtconsolidation.com/statute-limitations/state/tennessee.html

thanks again!

Ladynred

It's wrong. The SOL in TN is 6 years for written and open accounts. I live in the same city you do, I've been thru the TN statutes, there is nothing there stating any 3 year SOL for this type of debt.

28-3-109. Rent — Official misconduct — Contracts not otherwise covered — Title insurance — Demand notes. —
(a) The following actions shall be commenced within six (6) years after the cause of action accrued:

(1) Actions for the use and occupation of land and for rent;
(2) Actions against the sureties of guardians, executors and administrators, sheriffs, clerks, and other public officers, for nonfeasance, misfeasance, and malfeasance in office; and
(3) Actions on contracts not otherwise expressly provided for.

(b) The cause of action on title insurance policies, guaranteeing title to real estate, shall accrue on the date the loss or damage insured or guaranteed against is sustained.

(c) The cause of action on demand notes shall be commenced within ten (10) years after the cause of action accrued.

Last edited:

winnerTN

thanks lady :)

I've seen your posts, and I appreciate your knowledge and respect you show for us "juniors"..thanks again!

Beautiful day in Nashville today!
Peace :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">