• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SoL Utility Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

voorhik

What is the name of your state? Resident - Colorado, Debt-incurred - Arizona

I recently (earlier this year) had a Utility debt show up on a credit report. The debt was incurred about 7 years ago in Arizona. I had “verbally” disputed the debt, as the amounts were about 3 times the average local power bill. They had not sent me a bill for months, while I contacted them several times to find out where the bill was they failed to provide a bill. The power was never interrupted and I never had a chance to know how inflated the amounts were. After about a year I moved from the house and found that I had a large account, it had been a year with no bill. I had put aside about $150 per month so that I could handle the bill when it showed up. When I finally found out how much I owed it was almost three times the amount I had saved up. They would not work with me when I disputed the amounts and asked to have the meter checked. As I said before I disputed the amount and asked them to re-evaluate the bills. They never responded. I did not hear from them again. Then just last spring, I noticed a charge-off on my credit report. That’s about 7 or 8 years from when the first payment was missed. I received no notice that they planned to attach this to my credit report and I feel there is a Statue of Limitations issue here. I have been working hard to clean up my credit and this to me is an unfair blow. While I still feel obligated to pay a fair portion of the debt, I don’t think they have a right to post a negative mark on my credit.

I am now a Colorado resident, for the past three years, so I believe I am now protected by the Colorado Statues.

The questions I have are:
1. Does the Statues of Limitations for Credit Reports prevent them from posting a negative mark for a debt incurred over 7 years ago?
2. Is the debt categorized as “Open-credit” or “Contractual Credit”. It seems that SoL’s change with type of debt.

Thanks for any help offered.

racer72

Is the electrical utility a privately owned company or a public company owned by a city, county or state?

voorhik

The power company is Arizona Public Service, it's parent company is Pinnacle West Captial, which has stock/share holdings, therefore I believe that it is a private company not a government entity.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">