• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SOL in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I had a Sears credit card in 1993 which I defaulted on at that time. In 1996, a judgement was gotten against me for $4,000 odd dollars. Fast forward to April 05, Ocwen Collections has been calling trying to collect this debt. Last message I had from them was that if I didn't pay up, then I knew what would happen to my back account. I feel like this is just a scare tactic. I don't have a bank account, haven't had one in several years. I would love to pay this off, but I simply don't have that kind of money, and they're not willing to settle. I have nothing they could attach a lien too. Could they place a lien against anything that my parents own? I live in a house that is theirs. I am the only person that was on the credit card.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Veronica1228

Moonpie0418 said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I had a Sears credit card in 1993 which I defaulted on at that time. In 1996, a judgement was gotten against me for $4,000 odd dollars. Fast forward to April 05, Ocwen Collections has been calling trying to collect this debt. Last message I had from them was that if I didn't pay up, then I knew what would happen to my back account. I feel like this is just a scare tactic. I don't have a bank account, haven't had one in several years. I would love to pay this off, but I simply don't have that kind of money, and they're not willing to settle. I have nothing they could attach a lien too. Could they place a lien against anything that my parents own? I live in a house that is theirs. I am the only person that was on the credit card.
Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance.
If they have already obtained a judgement, do you know if it is only to garnish your bank account (if you had one)? If so, there is little they CAN do at this point unless they take you back to court. Since you don't have anything anyway, they have limited options.

No, your parents won't be effected unless they co-signed something for you. I think you should be okay.

The judgement wasn't placed against any bank account when it was originally obtained. I had one then, but haven't had any since 1996. Thanks for your input. I'm more concerned about it affecting my parents. But since they have never co-signed on any credit card for me, I'm glad they're safe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">