• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold my car, moved to Europe, moved back in debt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

andymacdee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

6 months ago i moved back from Berlin. I was living there from April 09 - Dec. 10. Before i left I had sold my car to a friend who also lived in Indiana at the time. Unaware of the procedure, I (foolishly?) signed over the title without getting a bill of sale from the DMV here in Indy.

In september of 09, I receive an email from the guy I'd sold the car to saying that the car was impounded ( i believe it was abandoned) in California and he needed me to help him get it out. He never registered/plated the vehicle and said that he'd lost the title I signed over to him.

So now, credit collectors are sending me letters saying that I owe them $1600 and they will start affecting my credit score. I'm not sure how to get in touch with this person any longer. I wonder what the next step I can take is? How should I prove that I'm not liable for this?

Any response would be appreciated,
Andy

swalsh411

Where is your documentation from when you informed the DMV that the car had been sold?

Legally, it sounds like your friend just drove around in your car while you were gone. You are responsible for paying that $1,600 but then you can perhaps recover against your "friend" in small claims but that will depend on what you can prove.

cosine

Is your friend willing to cover the costs of what HE did with YOUR car while you were in Berlin?

andymacdee

thank you all. foolishly i only signed over the title to him, which he had lost apparently, without informing the DMV. i believe i had read that in INdiana the buyer is responsible for plating/registering the vehicle. I have no proof of selling him the vehicle...although i do have proof of my stay in Berlin while the impound of the car was happening. I have tried to contact him to no avail. hopefully i can talk with him and get us to "grandfather" a bill of sale together. Any thoughts?

swalsh411

The DMV is not going to accept that. You are responsible for this debt. Your recourse would be to sue this person in smalls claims court. The collection agency is not going to care one bit about your story. (and in fact probably will not believe you)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">