• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Someone please advise---I am a student loan co-signer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yasmeen316

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

Hello. I co-sigend a student loan for a friend about 5 years ago. I am now 26 and trying to get into medical school. I just found out that my friend is behind on payments and Sallie Mae is going to send it to the Credit Bureau. I have a very good credit rating despite the fact that I do not have a fulltime job. (I am, however, a fulltime student and will be for many more years). I have tried to plead with her parents to refinance the loan with my friend so they can become her new co-signers, however, they refuse. What actions can I take to get my name off of this loan? As I look back at 21, I was very naive, although I made a very uneduacated decision in signing her loan papers, I was, and still am, an adult. This is the argument I get from my friend and her parents; meaning I must suffer the consequences of my decision. I feel that Sallie Mae may have illegally allowed me to co-sign her loan in the first place, but I may be wrong. At the time I was a full time student with no real job, I did have work study which barely paid me $200 a month. Knowing this, they allowed me to become liable for a loan in excess of almost $20,000. I am concerned for my future becuase what if I must take out loans for school in the private sector and am denied becaue I have reached my credit capacity or because my credit rating is shot. I do have debts on my own, which I am taking full responsiblity for and paying the payments on time. However, if I cannot get funding or if my credit rating is shot, my life is ruined. I have no way of supporting myself right now outside of studying hard and making it into medical school, which I will work just as hard to finish. I make money here and there, but nothing steay. After this cross road in my life of completing my educational pursuits I will be secure and can handle situations like this, but until then what can I do to protect myself and fix this situation I am in? How can I legally get off of the loan? Thank you for your time.

Ritocal

When you co-sign a loan, you are responsible for that loan. The only way to get off that loan is to pay it off.

Yeah it sucks, Yeah it was a stupid thing to do, but it wasn't illegal.

Oh.. and ruined credit is not going to ruin your life. It will just make things difficult for a while. It might help to pick up an extra part time job to make minimum payments on it to keep it from going to collections.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">