• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

South Carolina

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JDi

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

Apparently, South Carolina can claim or commandeer any State Income Tax refund you may have coming back and send it to hospitals, or doctors for unpaid bills -- EVEN if the bills are not owed because of a mixup or negligence on the part of the insurance company. There is no Due Process required via a judgment, no legal remedy, and no protection from this Draconian State practice. The worst and most criminal of these policies actually allows doctors to collect from spouses of deceased individuals even years after their spouse died. And, South Carolina will collect from your state income tax return for bills owed by your dead spouse in other states, at least NC in the case of Carolina Physicians Network.

How in the world can this be legal? There's no judgment to prove the debt is owed-- you just get a letter saying your tax refund has been sent to pay a bill you don't even know you owed-- and for that matter, may NOT owe.

Does anybody know what SC Code allows this?

Rexlan

OP did ask a specific question, unfortunately I don't know the answer. However, I would suggest calling the State Revenue Department as a start and asking them to give you a reference to the garnishment or refer you to someone who can explain how it works.

There may also be some reference to the authority in the letter you received.

seniorjudge

OP did ask a specific question, unfortunately I don't know the answer. However, I would suggest calling the State Revenue Department as a start and asking them to give you a reference to the garnishment or refer you to someone who can explain how it works.

There may also be some reference to the authority in the letter you received.
How in the world can this be legal?

Sounds like a rhetorical question to me.

So if OP doesn't have anything more to add, there is little we can say about it.

Rexlan

How in the world can this be legal?

Sounds like a rhetorical question to me.

So if OP doesn't have anything more to add, there is little we can say about it.
SJ I, I agree with you but I was refering to this and didn't OP ask:
Does anybody know what SC Code allows this?

actually, this is correct. This is why, when I made a payment plan with Greenville Hospital System and paid it exactly as agreed, and 3 months later, they turned me into collections to have my state taxes garnished, I changed my filing status and now they get about $30.00 a year!!!!! It will take them about 50 years to get all the money they would have gotten had they just let me continue to pay as agreed on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">