• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouses Obligations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prevail

What is the name of your state? OH

My spouse and I have completely seperate finances including checking and savings accounts. She incurred substantial debt by both breach of contract and by a tort action. The contract she breached did not benefit me in any way nor was I aware of it. Am I responsible for that debt? Is there something I can do to protect myself?:mad:

I am being asked for a deposition. I was not a party to the original lawsuit which took place several years ago. Is there a way to avoid this?

Last edited:

TigerD

My spouse and I have completely seperate finances including checking and savings accounts. She incurred substantial debt by both breach of contract and by a tort action. The contract she breached did not benefit me in any way nor was I aware of it. Am I responsible for that debt? Is there something I can do to protect myself?:mad:

I am being asked for a deposition. I was not a party to the original lawsuit which took place several years ago. Is there a way to avoid this?
no there isn't

ForFun

Am I responsible for that debt? Is there something I can do to protect myself?:mad:
In all likelihood, you are not responsible. You can protect yourself by continuing to keep things separate (not just accounts, but the title to the car, house, etc).

Ladynred

OH is NOT a community property state, therefore individual debts REMAIN separate - unless accounts were opened jointly. It makes no real difference if you derived benefit from what she bought, it's still only HER debt.

If you've been subpoenaed for a deposition, you'd best not try to avoid it. Just remember, do not volunteer ANY information in a deposition, keep your answers brief and to the point, don't elaborate unless asked to and then only as minimally as need to answer the question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">