• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Spouses old debt..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

keebler

What is the name of your state? Maryland.

Hello,

We have been getting almost daily phone calls from a collection agency, Receivables Performance Management, LLC. For a long time we ignored them or just hung up on them. I had finally had enough and talked to them. They were asking for a person in my spouse’s maiden name in the phone calls. I told them that she was my wife and she had no means of paying this debt. She is medically disabled and does not work. The person on the phone acknowledged to me that I was not responsible for the debt due to the fact it was dated years before I knew my wife. I asked my wife about it and she said it was from a Texaco credit card she had approximately 6 years ago.

I, not my wife, requested a written notice of the debt. In the letter it says "Unless you notify this office within 30 days after receiving this notice that you dispute the validity of this debt or any portion thereof, this office will assume this debt is valid." It also states the creditor as Pallina Receivables I, LLC. I believe in Maryland the Statue of Limitations is 3 years on credit card debt. Long past the time she had last paid on this debt.

Did I "restart" the statute of limitations timer by requesting the letter and neglecting to reply to it? It has been long past 30 days. I must state that my wife who actually owes the debt had no part in these actions. I did it on my own because she was being evasive with me and would not tell me anything about it until I got the letter. The letter is in her name but she in no way requested it and has never talked to anyone at RPM.

Any suggested course of action??

Thanks for any advice..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">