• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SPRINT BROKE A CONTRACT WITH ME and RUINED MY CREDIT. I want to SUE!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baggins33

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Hi,

I want to sue SPRINT (cell phone company) and would like some thoughts before I start calling lawyers. The case requires some background on my relationship with Sprint over the years. I seriously think this could be a class action lawsuit if I ever saw one as I suspect many thousands out there like me where screwed in such a fashion.

I was a Sprint customer for over 14 years. Around 2006 I considered leaving Sprint for a competitor due to their lack of cutting edge phones. Retention department managed to save my business by offering me a 30% discount (for life). Originally, on my bill for many years it simply said something to the effect of 30% off. This was 30% off the total, taxes, data, etc. I had a good deal. Several years passed and several contracts. With each contract renewed I would get a new phone, and make sure that my 30% discount was still going to be on my bill. Each time I was assured that it would be. I was happy to stay with Sprint. I did notice that at some point around 2011 I started to see my discount labled as 'Employee discount'. I thought this was odd since I was never a Sprint employee. When I asked about this, customer service said that that is how they are classifying my discount now. Umm ok.

So, onto the problem and potential lawsuit at hand: In 2011 I renewed my contract yet again, yadda yadda, got a new phone, was assured my discount would be there and committed to yet another 2 years with Sprint. In July of 2013 I noticed a huge jump in my bill. I was nearly 6 months from the end of my contract. I called to see what had happened. My discount had been removed without warning. I tried to get it back on. Sprint essentially told me to get lost. There was nothing I could do.

Since my bill had now risen as much as 45% with no warning, I viewed this as a breach of contract by Sprint. I no longer wanted to stay with such an inferior service for such a high price. Moreso I was outraged that they would not at least honor out our agreement for me to stay with them for the full 2 years. I believe they had a contractual obligation to honor my discounted rate AT LEAST until the end of my contract in November. They simply laughed at me. So, I left sprint a few months early for this breach. They hit me with the ETF (early termination fee) which was pro-rated, but still - I wasn't going to pay it. After all, they had broken their contract, and in my opinion I could now leave the company and not be bound to a sudden 45% increase in my bill before the contract end date. One Sprint manager told me that the discount had been a 'privilege'. I never viewed it this way. It was always presented to me as a deal - a handshake - a clear agreement between two parties. Certainly, when I renewed nearly 1.5 years earlier the clear expectation was that my rate would not, and could not increase mid term.

The bill is now on my credit report. It is my only blemish. I have since paid what I viewed as the past due amount for the 'service' but the early termination fee I will not pay, never. The account is now on my credit report as 'settled'. Still, this is an ugly thing to have on my credit. It's there and it made my credit drop over 100pts.

I did offer Sprint to simply have this removed from my cride records and I'd move on. But they refused. I'm now at the point where I want to seek aggressive legal help and sue the f*cking **** out of this pathetic company, for ruining my credit, causing me all types of stress and problems thinking about this garbage for too long, and for breaking the contract - yet expecting me keep the contract until the end.

Do I have a case? If, so, how strong is it?

I do now know it appears that Sprint took away these discounts in a sweeping nationwide move last year from many people like me. It would be great to see them have to pay millions over screwing up peoples lives like this if at all possible and not honoring their commitments. Maybe I don't understand 'class action'. But to me this sure seems like one. At least I'd love to sue them personally for ruining my credit, and causing me all this unnecessary stress. I would think that once they broke the contract with me- that frees me from the contract with them.

Thanks for your thoughts and help!

D

Last edited:

Proserpina

I suspect that if you actually read their TOS, you'd see exactly why they can do this.

And seriously, start behaving like a grown-up.

single317dad

Was the discount written into the contract?

In your response, please omit any profanities or emotional outbursts. It's best to start practicing that before court.

TigerD

1. In 2006 I left Nextel because it was bought by Sprint and the customer service (for which Nextel was legendary) went to crap overnight.
2. In 2006 Sprint had cutting edge tech and it still does.
3. You breached your contract with Sprint.
4. I do not believe that Sprint offered you a 30 percent discount for life. That is simply silly.

You have no case. Your best hope if you attempt to sue to enforce this oral contract for life is that you are too inconsequential for them to notice.

DC

Sheriff10

I have read for years but rarely reply. I can't resist on this one.

Please detail how "lives are ruined" and exactly what "stress and other problems" this incident has caused you that would compell you to consider litigation.

Lives are ruined because they have to pay the same rates the rest of us do? 1 blemish on your credit does not ruin lives. Was the option of paying the ETF in order to keep your credit clean then fighting Sprint after the fact ever considered? Harder to get them to compromise, but it would save your credit score.

I too would like to know if you got the "deal" for a 30% lifetime discount in writing. If I ever made the mistake of giving someone a lifetime deal, that someone would be advised to be looking over their shoulder during that lifetime deal. Too good to be true? I think so.

Last edited:

FarmerJ

cellular phone companies have had it in writing that they could change the terms of services at any time with notice and with out same kinds of notices to the customer and its been that way for years . ( some even just post it in general emails to customers and thats it , no other notice wich was part of why I ceased using the one VOIP I had for the longest of them all and i really actually liked )

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">