• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

statue of limitation in Oh

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

actsup

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?OH
I received a call from a lawyer stating they were starting processing for a credit card company for an old debt (over $6000.) last payment was in 1997. received a letter from a collection agency in 03 stating if $664.72 was paid it would be over. sent check they sent it back saying they no longer handled the account. Now the call. I do not think I owe over $6000 limit was 3 and I didn't charge that much. is there a statue of limitation in OH for this type of thing?

JETX

actsup said:
Wis there a statue of limitation in OH for this type of thing?
Yes. Your post says that this is a credit card debt. The Ohio SOL (Statute of Limitations) for an 'open account' (credit card) is four years from its date of last activity (DOLA).
Based solely on your post, the SOL on that 1997 debt would have expired around 2001.

If they call you again, simply tell them the above. If you receive a notice of a lawsuit actually being filed, then return here and we can refer you to how to file a 'SOL tolled' answer to the filing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">