• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statue of Limitations Michigan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vtstever

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I've been contacted about an old medical debt that is now over 10 years old. What is the statute of limitations for such debts in Michigan? There is question as to whether I even ever owed this money and I need to know how I should handle this. If the statute of limitations has passed based on Michigan law I will know not to bother...

Thank you for any help on this..

vtstever

VeronicaGia

vtstever said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I've been contacted about an old medical debt that is now over 10 years old. What is the statute of limitations for such debts in Michigan? There is question as to whether I even ever owed this money and I need to know how I should handle this. If the statute of limitations has passed based on Michigan law I will know not to bother...

Thank you for any help on this..

vtstever

http://www.cardreport.com/credit-problems/time.html

Debt Guy

My guide says the SOL in Michigan is 6 years.

Write a letter to the creditor telling them to "cease and desist". You can find samples at www.creditinfocenter.com.

It is possible to still be sued. If so, it is very important that you respond to the summons and file a motion to dismiss the suit on the basis that it is time-barred.

If you fail to asset SOL as an affirmative defense, then it is possbile the creditor could be awarded a judgment. Then all best are off and you have a problem.

Always open your mail and never fail to respond to any sort of legal pleading.

S

seniorjudge

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">