• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations on Bad Check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tiredofthem

What is the name of your state? NC
I rec'd a letter from a collection agency trying to collect a check that was NSF in 2/02. I was never contacted in 02 or anytime since then regarding how to correct the problem or I would have back then. Now that this is over 3 years old and according to what I have read on the NC DOJ website, they can't collect for this. The people at the collection agency are SOOO rude..I wonder how they sleep at night! And the check was for $13.00! Do I have any options? I feel I shouldn't have to prove the SOL for this state b/c they should already know. Help!

Veronica1228

tiredofthem said:
What is the name of your state? NC
I rec'd a letter from a collection agency trying to collect a check that was NSF in 2/02. I was never contacted in 02 or anytime since then regarding how to correct the problem or I would have back then. Now that this is over 3 years old and according to what I have read on the NC DOJ website, they can't collect for this. The people at the collection agency are SOOO rude..I wonder how they sleep at night! And the check was for $13.00! Do I have any options? I feel I shouldn't have to prove the SOL for this state b/c they should already know. Help!
The SOL in NC for written debts is 3 years. Send them a letter CRRR mail letting them know this. You should be able to find a sample letter or something else to help you at the link below.

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/sampleletter9.shtml

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">