• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of limitations on bad check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

digital.ghost

I live in Mississippi. Nine years ago I used a check advance service. Then I went through a divorce and my finances took a nose dive. So I defaulted on paying for the check they were holding for me. They never turned it in and apparently held on to it all these years. Recently they contacted me and demanded payment. I paid them $20 per month for 3 months. They said I owed them about $340 total. Now I have been laid off and can not even afford the $20. A friend told me that the statute of limitations has long run out on this, but I do not want to take their word for it. I do intend on paying this, but can not spare anything right now. Was my friend correct, or will they be able to prosecute. I missed one payment already, and have not heard from them.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

You reset the SOL when you made your payments. The time to invoke your right to the SOL would have been before you agreed to and made any payments.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">