• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations: Rental Damage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CFPHelp

What is the name of your state? IL
What is the statute of limitations for "damage of rental property claim" that started in 9/01 and just showed up on a credit report last year. Certified letter was sent to rental company. They provided documentation of damages and cleaning costs of 1K. Credit report shows collections, but there have been absolutely no communications from agency. No documentation.

The claim is perhaps valid with regards to cleaning, but for damages, re: carpet, carpet was to be completely replaced anyway with regards to rehabbing unit.

seniorjudge

CFPHelp said:
What is the name of your state? IL
What is the statute of limitations for "damage of rental property claim" that started in 9/01 and just showed up on a credit report last year. Certified letter was sent to rental company. They provided documentation of damages and cleaning costs of 1K. Credit report shows collections, but there have been absolutely no communications from agency. No documentation.

The claim is perhaps valid with regards to cleaning, but for damages, re: carpet, carpet was to be completely replaced anyway with regards to rehabbing unit.
What did you damage?

When did you move out?

Did you leave a forwarding address?

etc. etc.

Please give us facts and details. Thanks....

CFPHelp

Reply to Rental Damage

My client moved out on 9/2001 and left a forwarding address. Most charges were failure to clean fridge, sweep floors, clean blinds etc. The major bill was carpet stains but they made it clear to all tenants that when the vacated they would rip out and replace carpeting. According to my client, they were rehabbing all units all of the time.

There was no notice or letter to his forwarding address. What alerted me was that when I reviewed his credit report I saw a clean credit history except this one charge. His score is in the 670 range.

BTW I provide free financial education to underpriveledged. I am a CFP by trade.

I have just never seen this before.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">