• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations Tolling Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ohoopee

Hello, about nine years ago, I immigrated to Europe from the State of Georgia. At time I moved, all of my debts in America were current and in good standing. It was only after I immigrated that I started having problems. My question is in regards to Statute of Limitations Tollings. I am aware that if a person leaves the country, that a toll is placed on the Statute of Limitations. But what if the person has resided outside of the United States for a significant period of time before the "clock" actually starts ticking on the Statute of Limitations? Does that make any difference at all or will it just be Tolled from the beginning? Also is the Tolling always going to exist as long as I reside outside of the United States or does it too have a limit as to how long it can stay in place?

I don't ever plan to live in the United States again and I have been granted citizenship in the European Country that I have been residing in but I also hate to think that if I ever did decide to move back to the States one day...20 or 30 years from now, that I will have a lawsuit waiting on me... I appreciate any advise or insight.

FlyingRon

As far as Georgia is concerned, if you're not within the state the limitations clock doesn't run. It matters not if you left after the act or not. Depending on the nature of the debt they have 4-6 years from the time you return to Georgia.

Ohoopee

Wow so not only is the SoL tolled if you leave the country, but also the State? So if a person just moved from Georgia to say Alabama...the SoL will be tolled? That is crazy and I had no idea. It also really sucks. Perhaps I should just hire a lawyer and declare Bankruptsy in the United States...if that is even possible from a foreign country.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">