• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stipulation of Discontinuance???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Nystudent7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

ok, I found out I was being sued in 2008, the debt collect basically did "sewer service" and did not serve me, but rather told the court they had and THEN mailed me a copy of the complaint AFTER the 21 day time to respond had lapsed. They claimed they had served me at my place of last residence which I hadn't live at in over ten years. I filed an Answer challenging the suit on the SOL, and insufficient service. The collector got scared and ran off, frankly I have no legal experience so I thought the court would proceed on it. It hasn't there has been NO action on the case since I filed my answer in 2008.

A few days ago I received a letter from the collector for a stipulation of discontinuance, I am guessing it's with prejudice. My questions are: what should I do? Should I accept the stipulation? I will be doing all the paperwork myself so any pointers would be great!!

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

ok, I found out I was being sued in 2008, the debt collect basically did "sewer service" and did not serve me, but rather told the court they had and THEN mailed me a copy of the complaint AFTER the 21 day time to respond had lapsed. They claimed they had served me at my place of last residence which I hadn't live at in over ten years. I filed an Answer challenging the suit on the SOL, and insufficient service. The collector got scared and ran off, frankly I have no legal experience so I thought the court would proceed on it. It hasn't there has been NO action on the case since I filed my answer in 2008.

A few days ago I received a letter from the collector for a stipulation of discontinuance, I am guessing it's with prejudice. My questions are: what should I do? Should I accept the stipulation? I will be doing all the paperwork myself so any pointers would be great!!
Step 1: Go here - http://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcivil/ecourtsMain

Step 2: Look "your" case up and note all the details.

Step 3: Make sure there is no judgment entered.

Step 4: If there is nothing pending left in the case, a Stip of Disc w/Prejudice would be a nice resolution. If the collector won't send you a draft, you can get away with using the language found in this one: https://www.blumberglegalforms.com/Forms/314.pdf but be sure to add "with prejudice" in both the title block and in the main text section.

Step 5: File Stip with court. I believe it's a $35 filing fee these days.

Step 6: ???

Step 7: Profit.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">