• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop Collection Calls at Work - Letter review

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irish634

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in PA but work in NY

Hi everyone,

Like many people across the country, I am finding myself falling behind in my debt payments. So my creditors have started to contact me at my employer. I know from doing research I can send a written request for them to stop contacting me at work. I do have every intention of paying my debts in full, I am just having difficulties at this time (like many others).

So, if I may ask some of the more knowledgeable readers to comment on my letter? What should I change/add/delete? I know seeking an attorney's advice is the best option, but this forum has helped before, so here goes.

Thanks in advance

[DATE]

[Your Name]
[Address]
[City]

[Agency]
[Address]
[City]

Re: [Account Number]

To Whom It May Concern,

I am writing in regards to the above referenced account number. Like many other people across the United States, I am stretched extremely thin due to the struggling economy, and as such I may or may not have missed payments or have been late in making payments to the referenced account.

This is to inform you that my employer does not permit me to be contacted at my place of employment and any attempt to contact me there could cause me harm or disadvantage. I have recently been reprimanded for such contact by a creditor. Any disregard of this instruction not to contact me, or anyone at my employment will result in my seeking legal advice on the full extent of my remedies under state, federal, and common law.

Please be advised that this request is only to stop the contact at my employer, and other third parties, effective as of the date of this letter. It is NOT a “Complete Contact Cessation” letter. You may still contact me at my home address, home telephone, and email, which are listed at the top of this letter. In no way am I attempting to circumvent my debt responsibilities. I have every intention of paying my debts in full, however like many Americans today, I am simply falling behind in this struggling economy.

Furthermore, my home and business contact information is up to date with you. Having previously contacted me at my home address or on my home phone number confirms that you have full knowledge of both pieces of information, rendering any contacts with any third parties a violation of my rights as an individual and a consumer under state and federal law.

Again, this letter is NOT a 100% contact cessation. It is merely to stop contact with me at my employer and other third parties. I can still be contacted at my home address, home telephone, and home email. I look forward to working with you in an effort to pay my debt in full.

I look forward to your acknowledgment that you have received this notice by [date that is two weeks from date of letter].

Sincerely,

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
All of that could be compressed in to:

I am not allowed personal calls at work. Please contact me only on my home #xxx-xxx-xxxx or my cell #xxx-xxx-xxxx. Thank you.

cp0654

guess it won't let me put links in my post.

just copy and paste in your browser:

http://www.larcc.org/pamphlets/consumer/debt_collection_practices.htm

irish634

Thanks for the link. I agree with you guys it needs to be trimmed. My letter was actually from a template I found.

Next question, would I send it registered/certified?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">