• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stop payment on check payment for poor business practices + collections repercussions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

help2345

What is the name of your state? TX

I'm a student and I recently went to an exam review company for a university course final exam. The owner told me he had the exact final exam. When i went however he told me that it was comprehensive and all the exams (1 to 3) were what was on the final. According to the business policy I had to pay $60 before i was even able to look at them.
After i made out a check for that amount, he gave me a folder of random exams which when i looked through, I saw they weren't for my professors final exam. When i told him the exams weren't for my class, he gave me an exam that said "final exam" on it that had similar format to my professor's except this exam only had 25 questions when i know the in-class final has 40 questions. When i looked through i noticed that the exam questions were from the first exam. A while later a girl from my class comes in, and after speaking with the owner, approaches me and asks to look at the exams. We realize that the material on our final is not comprehensive as he had said. He also had numerous exams that looked like personal documents and were typed in regular MS Word. We both thought these looked fake. I went over to him and told him that the girl that i spoke with just told me the final wasn't comprehensive and that the material would not be in the final. Immediately he told me to step outside.
The second i did, he started shouting at me and telling me he didn't want my business. He dragged the other girl out and told her that he'd give her money back but she'd have to leave. When she started to look confused, he let her back in and told her she could stay. I told him he lied to me and that i wanted my money back. He said no and then his rude employee came out and started to threaten to call the police. I told him i wasn't going anywhere. Then i went back in and asked for my check again and told him i would complain against the BBB and file a complaint with the Dean, to which he said he didn't care since he'd been in business for many years. I waited for 15 minutes for the police and kept asking for my check back and he kept refusing.
I paid $60 and i got nothing because he took the packet from me and kicked me out. I'm a female student, and a law abiding citizen. He completely disrespected me, verbally attacked me, took my money, gave me nothing and called the police on me.
I want to put a stop payment on this check because the services for which i paid for, were not rendered to me and not to mention he was incorrigible.
My question is if i do place a stop on the check, can he notify collections agencies against me for just $60? I am filing a complaint with the BBB, but if the collections dept seeks payment am I obligated to pay? And will the collections agency process ruin my credit? What are my chances with the BBB in seeking a refund if i let him deposit the check?
Is there anything legally i can find that would help me against him when i speak to the Dean? I have noticed he advertises in certain classes all over campus. In fact i only heard of this business through a class i had last semester that required us to buy our book only from this man's store. Does this mean he has some type of contract with my University? If so does this help or hurt me in my complaint to the Dean against this business, to get my money back and hurt his reputation and his wallet?
I feel so saddened that I was taken so advantage of and treated so poorly. I am good person and a law abiding citizen and I never even said anything disrespectful to him. Any response would be much appreciated and I apologize for this long post.

Thank you.:(:(What is the name of your state?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state? TX

I'm a student and I recently went to an exam review company for a university course final exam. The owner told me he had the exact final exam. When i went however he told me that it was comprehensive and all the exams (1 to 3) were what was on the final. According to the business policy I had to pay $60 before i was even able to look at them.
After i made out a check for that amount, he gave me a folder of random exams which when i looked through, I saw they weren't for my professors final exam. When i told him the exams weren't for my class, he gave me an exam that said "final exam" on it that had similar format to my professor's except this exam only had 25 questions when i know the in-class final has 40 questions. When i looked through i noticed that the exam questions were from the first exam. A while later a girl from my class comes in, and after speaking with the owner, approaches me and asks to look at the exams. We realize that the material on our final is not comprehensive as he had said. He also had numerous exams that looked like personal documents and were typed in regular MS Word. We both thought these looked fake. I went over to him and told him that the girl that i spoke with just told me the final wasn't comprehensive and that the material would not be in the final. Immediately he told me to step outside.
The second i did, he started shouting at me and telling me he didn't want my business. He dragged the other girl out and told her that he'd give her money back but she'd have to leave. When she started to look confused, he let her back in and told her she could stay. I told him he lied to me and that i wanted my money back. He said no and then his rude employee came out and started to threaten to call the police. I told him i wasn't going anywhere. Then i went back in and asked for my check again and told him i would complain against the BBB and file a complaint with the Dean, to which he said he didn't care since he'd been in business for many years. I waited for 15 minutes for the police and kept asking for my check back and he kept refusing.
I paid $60 and i got nothing because he took the packet from me and kicked me out. I'm a female student, and a law abiding citizen. He completely disrespected me, verbally attacked me, took my money, gave me nothing and called the police on me.
I want to put a stop payment on this check because the services for which i paid for, were not rendered to me and not to mention he was incorrigible.
My question is if i do place a stop on the check, can he notify collections agencies against me for just $60? I am filing a complaint with the BBB, but if the collections dept seeks payment am I obligated to pay? And will the collections agency process ruin my credit? What are my chances with the BBB in seeking a refund if i let him deposit the check?
Is there anything legally i can find that would help me against him when i speak to the Dean? I have noticed he advertises in certain classes all over campus. In fact i only heard of this business through a class i had last semester that required us to buy our book only from this man's store. Does this mean he has some type of contract with my University? If so does this help or hurt me in my complaint to the Dean against this business, to get my money back and hurt his reputation and his wallet?
I feel so saddened that I was taken so advantage of and treated so poorly. I am good person and a law abiding citizen and I never even said anything disrespectful to him. Any response would be much appreciated and I apologize for this long post.

Thank you.:(:(What is the name of your state?

Please help me understand here. Other members, please tell me if I'm way off base here. You went to this "business" to get a copy of the final exam you were to be taking in the future? You were going to pay for this exam? Isn't that considered cheating?

If I'm on the right track here...you're angry at this guy who cheated you because he didn't help you cheat on your final.

Again, If I'm on the right track here...you should be ashamed of yourself.

Lawyers help me out here (I'm just a banker)...does this sound like unclean hands to you :confused:

Why not just do this the old fashion way...study hard and earn your grade. Oh wait...that's right...you're from the self-entitled and arrogant generation. :mad:

cvdesign

Please help me understand here. Other members, please tell me if I'm way off base here. You went to this "business" to get a copy of the final exam you were to be taking in the future? You were going to pay for this exam? Isn't that considered cheating?

If I'm on the right track here...you're angry at this guy who cheated you because he didn't help you cheat on your final.

Lawyers help me out here (I'm just a banker)...does this sound like unclean hands to you :confused:

Why not just do this the old fashion way...study hard and earn your grade. Oh wait...that's right...you're from the self-entitled and arrogant generation. :mad:
No, it's not illegal ... think of it in terms of SAT prep or Sylvan Learning Centers ...

They weren't being given an EXACT copy of the exam, merely a "practice exam" to help them study. Some students do better with this method (I was never one of them).

However, it's not clear if the OP thought she was getting an EXACT copy of the exam ... though I don't see how she would think that.

Hydroshock

I don't think your post offers anything helpful, reguardless they went to a business that offered something, never received what they paid for. I wouldn't worry about if he tried to send anything to collection or not, Stop payment on a check is expensive though. It's hard to collect on something that they don't have all your information besides what is probably on the check. Even if it was sent to collection you can dispute it with the collection agency (written) for not providing anything that you paid for.

Also as far as "cheating", there's nothing wrong with looking at previous tests to see how the material will be presented and what to focus studying on more if you don't know all the material, it's not going to be the test you DO receive. Cheating would be more of actually getting the test that will be your final exam.

I think that's an uncalled for statement, it's not possible to label a whole generation as the same, every generation has people of every time.

TigerD

I think that's an uncalled for statement, it's not possible to label a whole generation as the same, every generation has people of every time.
People of every time??? No wonder you are defending cheating. The lack of education from which our recent high school and college graduates suffer is reprehensible.

DC

PS As I understood the OP post -- the police were called for the disturbance.

cvdesign

People of every time??? No wonder you are defending cheating. The lack of education from which our recent high school and college graduates suffer is reprehensible.

DC

PS As I understood the OP post -- the police were called for the disturbance.
It wasn't cheating (or at least, the course/class offering isn't intended to be cheating) ... it's no different than taking a SAT prep course.

The students take the test (based on collective tests from different schools) and after they are scored, they receive help from instructors on those problem areas. It's more like a serious (and sometimes, depending on the course, potentially expensive) cram session.

It's intended for students that have learning issues or problems understanding the material. Back when I was in college, if you needed help with the material, you either had to pay out the keister for his teaching assistant to tutor you or you took yer chances -- those that couldn't afford the teaching ass't, but couldn't afford to take their chances, either, took those quickie college exam prep courses.

It's NOT intended to facilitate cheating!!

Now, whether the OP believed that she would get an EXACT copy of the CURRENT test is another thing entirely. I don't really think she thought that, mainly because I don't think she would have been THAT foolish as to think that a company that has an on-going relationship with the University in question would be so stupid as to break the rule about cheating!

Antigone*

cheaters never prosper

Here is the cut and paste from the original OP

I'm a student and I recently went to an exam review company for a university course final exam. The owner told me he had the exact final exam.
Let's read it again...."THE OWNER TOLD ME HE HAD THE EXACT FINAL EXAM"

How on earth can that NOT be looking to cheat.

I stand firm on my stance about this generation...self-entitled and arrogant!!! Too much praise and not enough accountability.

xylene

I'm a student and I recently went to an exam review company for a university course final exam. The owner told me he had the exact final exam.

I stand firm on my stance about this generation...self-entitled and arrogant!!! Too much praise and not enough accountability.
You are an idiot and clearly have NEVER taken a standard test or a civil service test.

Civil service tests are often the EXACT same year after year.

Are you telling me that reviewing the NYS police handbook for applicants, which contains the test questions, is cheating?

You are just supposed to not study - wouldn't want to be self-entitled and arrogant!!!

cvdesign

Because ... if the OP needed the exam for say, Psych 101 and the review company only had the exam for Abnormal Psych -- obviously that would NOT be the EXACT exam. While it MIGHT share some of the same material, there's obviously a difference between the two, ca va?

That might very well be the point the OP is making, albeit not very well and too open for interpretation.

Please, before you post again about this being cheating, go Google "Exam Review" or "Exam Prep" ... you'll see what everyone else is saying and understand the issue far more clearly.

I think the attitude and possible shortcomings of this generation (or any other) is moot and irrelevant. It's also rather insulting to those who work their keisters off (and most do). Just because the hair's longer and often in several different colors doesn't mean the entire generation is worthless.

Remember, one day, they'll be taking care of YOU! ;)

Antigone*

You are an idiot and clearly have NEVER taken a standard test or a civil service test.

Civil service tests are often the EXACT same year after year.

Are you telling me that reviewing the NYS police handbook for applicants, which contains the test questions, is cheating?

You are just supposed to not study - wouldn't want to be self-entitled and arrogant!!!
:( this spirit of this post has taken a very sorry turn.:confused: and I'm sorry for contributing to that.

I guess I just don't understand how obtaining an exact copy of a test is not cheating. I come from a time where we study the material prior taking the test. The grade I earned was a direct result of what I learned or didn't learn.

I have taken standardized tests and completely understand that many of the questions on a test come directly from study material. It is not rocket science to memorize questions as they are posed and then copy them to another piece of paper.

It does however take understanding of the material you've studied for there to be any value. With the skyrocketing cost of university today, you would think that the value of learning would take precedence over being able to answer questions on a standardized test.

cvdesign

Wirelessany1 ...

I really don't think, from my experience (limited though it may be) with college exam review courses, that it was the EXACT test. I think the OP may have misspoke. I think it dealt more with the EXACT nature of the material being covered in the test rather than an actual verbatim duplicate.

As I said before: if the OP is taking Psych 101 and the only test that the reviewer has is Psych 202, SOME of the material may be the same, but not all. In that circumstance, it is NOT the EXACT test that she needs to review. Therefore, it's completely worthless to her.

And yes, standardized test DO sometimes change, but typically only to incorporate new material (can you imagine if it didn't? The ASVAB having a question dealing with the calvary?! LOL!) or to correct incorrect material. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same, year after year.

But really, Wirelessany1, I don't think you've done anything wrong -- except perhaps get a bit cranky with the kiddos! ;)

TigerD

1. A question on the ASVAB regarding the Cavalry is very relevant. Of course, being a Cavalry veteran, I might be biased.
2. The OP was trying to cheat. She wanted an exact copy of the final exam and created a disturbance when she received study materials.
3. xylene's post was far from the usual thoughtful response we would have expected from her. This isn't a civil service exam, but a college final. And after having read about a few of the stories about NYC's finest and met a couple ... I'm not so sure that most of them have ever read the police handbook.

All this is rather pointless. The OP will face the music when she complains to the Dean that didn't receive the cheating materials she wanted.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">