• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stranger in a free land

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Praxised

What is the name of your state? CA

I am a Canadian documented alien resident in CA. Years ago I had student loans with the Canadian gov, paid 70000 dollars on 28000 principle until I retired and emmigrated to USA. 12000 still owing. Now they (through a Canadian Collections company) are after me for the balance.

Question: can Canadian gov persue this in California court? Does California SOL apply?
If so, does the federal SOL exemption for student loans apply? In Canada the fed SOL is six years.Just wondering....

Shay-Pari'e

CA Sol does not apply. You need to look up your Canadian laws regarding your loan.

Nothing like getting a free ride at the tax payers expense.:rolleyes:

Praxised

Thank you for the reply. I susect that 11% interest over a decade is hardly a free ride and in fact was profitable for the gov. but that is the way the rules are in Canada. I see the US student loan rate has been halved- another free ride, or responsible response to student access to higher learning? A moral issue I dont wish to persue at this time in this forum.

Maine-iac

CA Sol does not apply. You need to look up your Canadian laws regarding your loan.

Nothing like getting a free ride at the tax payers expense.:rolleyes:
After reading just a couple of your posts it isn't difficult to discern that you're the most obnoxious and pestiferous person on this forum. It is obvious that there is something seriously lacking in your life for you to be taking joy in insulting people when they're having some type of misfortune and looking for some advice.

You're also one of the most deficient. How is getting a student loan in Canada a "free ride at the tax payers' expense"?:rolleyes:

Besides, someone who is obviously a lay person (I'm guessing you're the person at the humane society that puts dogs and cats to sleep with her bare hands) shouldn't be giving legal advice on a forum such as this. It could affect people's lives.

moburkes

After reading just a couple of your posts it isn't difficult to discern that you're the most obnoxious and pestiferous person on this forum. It is obvious that there is something seriously lacking in your life for you to be taking joy in insulting people when they're having some type of misfortune and looking for some advice.

You're also one of the most deficient. How is getting a student loan in Canada a "free ride at the tax payers' expense"?:rolleyes:

Besides, someone who is obviously a lay person (I'm guessing you're the person at the humane society that puts dogs and cats to sleep with her bare hands) shouldn't be giving legal advice on a forum such as this. It could affect people's lives.
Did you read the terms and conditions. If you were waiting only for responses from attorneys, then you'd be waiting a long time.

By the way, if you take out a student loan, and don't pay the bill that you agreed to pay which you took out the loan, who, then, pays for your loan?

racer72

I have a suggestion for you, if you don't have anything constructive to add to the thread except make a personal attack on another member, shut the heck up. I will have your post removed and have you banned from this site. I have done it before and I am sure I will have to do it again. This is your only warning.

Praxised

Look, folks: I dont wish to get into a scrap. Whether or not I should pay the balance that is "alleged" owing is not my question. Th:) e circumstances are somewhat complex and like in the USA, the terms and conditions attached to student loans are always in flux, potentially unfair and perhaps contrary to what good government is all about. I simply wanted to know what action the Government of Canada can take in California viz-aviz SOL and jurisdiction. I suspect I have partially found the answer and thank you.

BelizeBreeze

Look, folks: I dont wish to get into a scrap. Whether or not I should pay the balance that is "alleged" owing is not my question. Th:) e circumstances are somewhat complex and like in the USA, the terms and conditions attached to student loans are always in flux, potentially unfair and perhaps contrary to what good government is all about. I simply wanted to know what action the Government of Canada can take in California viz-aviz SOL and jurisdiction. I suspect I have partially found the answer and thank you.
sol remains forever in the location where the debt was incurred. So you need to find a canadian law forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">