• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Strayer University

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

03EclipseDan

Pennsylvania

Dear Free Advice,

I attended Strayer University a few years ago and they said I owed a debt to them of $3000 back in 2010. Well I found about that debt and how it got sent to a collections agency who was now in charge of carrying that debt. Well that debt was sent to the collection agency without me knowing it until I did a credit check on myself last year. I disputed the debt with the collection agency and followed the rules to the T against this collection company. They didnt properly verify the debt at all and the letter was received way past the deadline according to law. So i went through my credit bereau and gave them all my proof that the debt could be removed from my credit report that they needed and I succeeded. Now the catch to all this is that even though the debt is not on my credit report I still need that transcript from Strayer somehow to show to other schools so I can get my degree done. What could I do going forward to accomplish this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Pennsylvania

Dear Free Advice,

I attended Strayer University a few years ago and they said I owed a debt to them of $3000 back in 2010. Well I found about that debt and how it got sent to a collections agency who was now in charge of carrying that debt. Well that debt was sent to the collection agency without me knowing it until I did a credit check on myself last year. I disputed the debt with the collection agency and followed the rules to the T against this collection company. They didnt properly verify the debt at all and the letter was received way past the deadline according to law. So i went through my credit bereau and gave them all my proof that the debt could be removed from my credit report that they needed and I succeeded. Now the catch to all this is that even though the debt is not on my credit report I still need that transcript from Strayer somehow to show to other schools so I can get my degree done. What could I do going forward to accomplish this?
Pay your bill :rolleyes:

You still owe it, even if it's not on your credit report. Oh, and don't expect it to stay off your credit report forever.

Zigner

i shouldnt have too if i beat them. wouldnt be much of a point disputing the debt?
You didn't "beat them", you simply had the item removed (temporarily) from your credit report. That doesn't change the fact that you owe it. Furthermore, you can't force them to release your transcripts even if you are able to push this past the statute of limitations.

Zigner

If this is the type of attitude that Strayer University produces, then I'll make sure to steer clear.

LdiJ

You didn't "beat them", you simply had the item removed (temporarily) from your credit report. That doesn't change the fact that you owe it. Furthermore, you can't force them to release your transcripts even if you are able to push this past the statute of limitations.
I am not sure that I agree with you Zig. Its harder than heck to get something removed from your credit report and generally that only happens if you prove you do not owe it and the creditor refuses to voluntarily remove it.

Its possible that the OP still owes it, but there is not enough information here at all to say that the OP definitely owes it.

Proserpina

I am not sure that I agree with you Zig. Its harder than heck to get something removed from your credit report and generally that only happens if you prove you do not owe it and the creditor refuses to voluntarily remove it.

Its possible that the OP still owes it, but there is not enough information here at all to say that the OP definitely owes it.

It's really not that hard to have something removed at least temporarily.

It happens frequently.

03EclipseDan

okay guys so this is my proof

i have a tracking label from the post office and proof of shipment on the dates and a document dated and printed that i sent to them i have the original and all that proof i sent to the credit bereau and it was removed.

when the collection agency tried to verify my debt they were way past the deadline and did not even have all the documents requested to verify the debt. they needed to send alot more documents then they did.

so with all my proof they have nothing.

so would i need a lawyer to help get those transcripts released to me since i have the everything i need?

i have a tracking label from the post office and proof of shipment on the dates and a document dated and printed that i sent to them i have the original and all that proof i sent to the credit bereau and it was removed.

when the collection agency tried to verify my debt they were way past the deadline and did not even have all the documents requested to verify the debt. they needed to send alot more documents then they did.

so would i need a lawyer to help get those transcripts released to me since i have the everything i need?
We can argue about how easy something is to do, and how likely something is, until the cows come home. But the remaining bottom line is that your credit report and your debt are two separate things. They obviously overlap in various ways, but they are none-the-less two different things. Just because you can convince the credit reporting agencies not to list a debt, doesn't mean that you don't owe that debt to the original creditor.

Similarly, a lot of people also misunderstand debts that are "written off" by the creditor. They mistakenly believe that because the creditor "wrote off" the debt for tax purposes (and perhaps sold it for pennies on the dollar to a debt collector), that it must mean they don't owe the debt any more.

single317dad

Was this "document" you sent "to them" a "check for $3000" that you sent "to the school you owed $3000 to"? If not, you still owe the school (or its assignee) $3000, plus any fees that have accrued.

LdiJ

Was this "document" you sent "to them" a "check for $3000" that you sent "to the school you owed $3000 to"? If not, you still owe the school (or its assignee) $3000, plus any fees that have accrued.
Again, I do not think that we have enough information to make that determination.

Zigner

Again, I do not think that we have enough information to make that determination.
Sure we do. The OP knows he owes it and the school knows he owes it. The school doesn't have to release the transcripts before they are paid.

TinkerBelleLuvr

Directly from the Strayer University website:
http://www.strayer.edu/strayer-university-alumni/strayer-university-transcript-request

Please allow 7-10 business days for routine processing. During peak processing times, such as the end or beginning of the quarter, please allow for 10-20 business days for processing. The records of individuals who attended prior to 1987 may not be computerized and additional time should be allowed for research of those records (up to 15 business days). If you have a special deadline, please indicate dates on your request. For further information, or to check on the status of a request, please contact the Business Office. Official transcripts are issued only when all financial obligations to the University are met. - See more at: http://www.strayer.edu/strayer-university-alumni/strayer-university-transcript-request#sthash.nbk052cF.dpuf
Pay your bill to get your transcript.

justalayman

i shouldnt have too if i beat them. wouldnt be much of a point disputing the debt?
you didn't "beat them" at anything. You succeeded in having it removed from your credit report but I suspect it will return in the not too far future. It being reported or not has nothing to do with the actual ability of the creditor to collect on the debt.

but even worse:

even if it runs beyond the statute of limitations where they cannot sue you for the debt, the school is STILL not going to release your transcripts until you pay them.

justalayman

if the creditor does not respond the debt is removed. Many creditors do not respond to the CRA's, especially secondary debt market companies. It does not affect their ability to sue for the debt though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">