• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Loan Debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCStudentSherri

What is the name of your state? SC

While filling out financial aid papers for my daughter I have found that her Expected Family contribution has been calculated incorrectly this year causing her to not get federal grant money. It probably happened last year too.

I have 80k in student loan debt myself. It probably happened on my applications as well. Doesn't the financial aid office of our school have some fiduciary responsibility to make sure the EFC is calculated properly?

I am not trying to get something I am not entitled too, but I feel like if I had been better advised I would have received more grant money than loan?:rolleyes:

seniorjudge

SCStudentSherri said:
What is the name of your state? SC

While filling out financial aid papers for my daughter I have found that her Expected Family contribution has been calculated incorrectly this year causing her to not get federal grant money. It probably happened last year too.

I have 80k in student loan debt myself. It probably happened on my applications as well. Doesn't the financial aid office of our school have some fiduciary responsibility to make sure the EFC is calculated properly?

I am not trying to get something I am not entitled too, but I feel like if I had been better advised I would have received more grant money than loan?:rolleyes:
Q: Doesn't the financial aid office of our school have some fiduciary responsibility to make sure the EFC is calculated properly?

A: No. That is the applicant's responsibility.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">