• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Loan Situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bwbw80

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkansas

First, I'll admit fault for getting to this point.

However, my student loans are currently with a collection agency. They have opened a file for garnishment but nothing has started (according to them they have not even sent anything to my employer yet).

I have tried to setup a loan rehabilitation with the agency to no avail. The only amount they will accept is $890/month. With the total balance only 5800, this would not allow me to successfully rehab the loan (it would be paid off before the rehab would complete).

The law started they have to allow me to rehab and calculate payments that are reasonable and affordable. While $890 may be technically affordable (although quite painful), it would not rehab the loan.

How do I fight this? I have filed for a hearing and started consolidation paperwork to try to avoid garnishment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">