• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Loan student loan statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AMG86

I took out private student loans in 2004/2005 with the help of '2' different co-signers. One contract was signed in Pennsylvania, the other in Tennessee. I currently live in Illinois, where the statute of limitations is 10 years. The statute of limitations has expired in both Pennsylvania and Tennessee, yet this debt collection company is taking me to court for payment. I was under the impression that since the contracts were signed in Pennsylvania and Tennessee that those state statute of limitations would apply to these loans, not Illinois. I keep finding contradicting information regarding this, can anyone help?

single317dad

There is also a (contested) school of thought that the SoL from the home state of the financial institution can apply, or that the shortest of all relevant SoLs can apply. Regardless, the only way to make those arguments is to present them properly in motions and/or oral arguments, citing statutes and case law, following the rules of civil procedure. It's not just a matter of calling out "SOL" and being done with the whole mess.

There are some debt litigation forums with a much larger and more experienced audience which may be more helpful to you. There are also some lying trolls on those other forums as well so take every advice with a grain of salt.

Try http://www.creditinfocenter.com/community/

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">