• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Student Loan Taken in my name or scam?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notmystudentloa

I am in NV.

I just got a letter from a collections agency (seems to be from another state, Michigan) stating that I am in default from a Student Loan and that I need to pay or have my wages garnished, etc.

Problem is, I never had a student loan. I checked my credit report, and I was able to check 2 of them (3rd one, I have to mail in the request) and the student loan is not on my credit report. There is no mention of any student loan, everything is in good standing.

I talked to the police earlier, and he told me to come down, so could file a report and I would need my credit report. But now that I checked my report, and it isn't on the report (and no other suspicious activity). And If I had a student loan, it would be on my report correct? My guts say it is a scam. I haven't spoken with anyone from the collection agency (just got this letter).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">