• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued for debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Joedesi2014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington states.

So I got a summons that I guess was dated October 2 but served to me November 28. I would prefer to borrow money from family and just pay the whole bill and not go to court, even if it means I still have to cover there attorney fees still.
Is it possible to make an agreement with them and included it in the answer and have them agree to drop charges ? For some reason they have it doends I'm married (which I'm a single mother. Not married) barely scraping by as it is.I can't afford my wages to be garnished.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington states.

So I got a summons that I guess was dated October 2 but served to me November 28. I would prefer to borrow money from family and just pay the whole bill and not go to court, even if it means I still have to cover there attorney fees still.
Is it possible to make an agreement with them and included it in the answer and have them agree to drop charges ? For some reason they have it doends I'm married (which I'm a single mother. Not married) barely scraping by as it is.I can't afford my wages to be garnished.

By all means contact the plaintiff and see if they'll work with you. Please understand though that if they do agree to drop the suit, if you miss even one agreed-upon payment they'll likely sue you anyway and refuse to negotiate further.

latigo

I doubt that the claimant will dismiss the action short of full satisfaction of the amount claimed in the lawsuit or some compromised figure. What would be the incentive to dismiss without prejudice and then incur the expense of refilling and service of process?

Since you admit to owing the debt I would suggest that a stipulation be negotiated wherein you agree to deferred payment of a stated amount on the condition that if you fail to make timely installments, you will confess to a judgment being entered for the balance and any accruing statutory interest without further notice. But if you pay as agreed, the action will be dismissed with prejudice.

With respect to attorney fees. In Washington (RCW 4.84.250) when the claim in any action for damages is $7K or less the prevailing party is allowed to recover a reasonable amount to be fixed by the court as attorney fees. If the amount claimed falls within this range and claimant will agree to negotiating a confession of judgment, I suppose this item would be taken into account.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">