• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sued for a layaway

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frodo301

In Virginia. I received a summons to court for a layaway I put on at a local furniture store back in 2010. It was for a space heater which cost about 250.00 at the time. Due to my son being sick at the time and having extended stay at hospital, I never followed up past a few payments for the heater. I was under the impression that after a period of time the layaway would be canceled and I would lose any money paid. Did not really give it anymore thought. Fast forward to 2016 and I receive a summons to appear in small claims court for 626$ from this store for the price of layaway and interest/court cost. My question is I don't have possession of the merchandise and can they sue me for a layaway? Looking over the court cases over the past year it looks as if the business is suing people in lots of about 20 or thirty cases at a time. The cases are about 60% dismissed and 40% default judgement. Amounts are all over the place from $200-6000.00. What if any are my options. Do I just pay it off or do I stand a chance going to court and having it dismissed. I worked hard to reestablish my credit after missteps years back. I don't want something to screw that up. Thank you all.

justalayman

You need to read the layaway contract to determine the terms of the contract. It sounds like it might have not been a typical layaway but simply a purchase contract where they hold the merchandise until it is paid off.

Frodo301

It claims to be a note on the summons. I believe this company has a revised "at home" layaway now so the details have defiantly changed

Frodo301

But what I get I should have read the agreement beforehand and not assumed it was a typical layaway as I had used before in different stores. Especially now that I see very few if any laws regulate layaway. Thanks to all who posted/posts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">