• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

sued multple times in various counties for the exact same thing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vawter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? currently tennessee
this is from when i resided in iowa. my wife and i purchased a car, we both lost our jobs before it was paid off. this vehicle was repossessed. for some reason the are suing the crap out of my wife, but not me. anyway we were sued in a polk county iowa (des moines) of course we couldnt make the court case, and we do owe the money anyway. the judgment was she will have her wages garnished now that we live in tennessee. so today we got yet another summons to appear in court for the same thing, in Linn county iowa (cedar rapids). how many times can we be sued for the exact same thing? they already have a garnishment, can they get yet another garnishment? oh forgot to mention we never lived in any county we are being sued in, and we purchased the car in a county were also not being sued in

this seems excessive to say the least!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? currently tennessee
this is from when i resided in iowa. my wife and i purchased a car, we both lost our jobs before it was paid off. this vehicle was repossessed. for some reason the are suing the crap out of my wife, but not me. anyway we were sued in a polk county iowa (des moines) of course we couldnt make the court case, and we do owe the money anyway. the judgment was she will have her wages garnished now that we live in tennessee. so today we got yet another summons to appear in court for the same thing, in Linn county iowa (cedar rapids). how many times can we be sued for the exact same thing? they already have a garnishment, can they get yet another garnishment?

this seems excessive to say the least!
What makes you believe you are being sued again? Perhaps they are simply transferring the judgment or perhaps they wish to summon you to a hearing to determine your assets...

vawter

What makes you believe you are being sued again? Perhaps they are simply transferring the judgment or perhaps they wish to summon you to a hearing to determine your assets...
the second registered letter from the second sheriff stating they are suing us in linn county so they can get garnishment

Zigner

negative, still suing her
That is a strange one. You may wish to contact an attorney. You may also wish to contact the folks that are suing you (now) and point out that they already have a judgment against you (assuming it's the same folks).

vawter

That is a strange one. You may wish to contact an attorney. You may also wish to contact the folks that are suing you (now) and point out that they already have a judgment against you (assuming it's the same folks).
im sure they know, they are very bad people! i think i would have been better off getting money from the mafia! there is a long list of things i think they have done thats illegal. but this double garnishment is the most pressing issue at the moment.

thank you for all your input and assistance!

TigerD

No. The OP doesn't seem to understand what is going on.

He should start by contact the court to find out exactly what the action is.

TD

Zigner

im sure they know, they are very bad people! i think i would have been better off getting money from the mafia! there is a long list of things i think they have done thats illegal. but this double garnishment is the most pressing issue at the moment.

thank you for all your input and assistance!
Frankly, it sounds like a clerical error to me. I don't think they are bad people, necessarily. They are simply enforcing the agreement that you (plural) entered in to with them.

LdiJ

Frankly, it sounds like a clerical error to me. I don't think they are bad people, necessarily. They are simply enforcing the agreement that you (plural) entered in to with them.
I am actually wondering if this is a case where a debt has been assigned to multiple collection agencies...and the second suit is from a second agency. I have seen that happen.

vawter

I am actually wondering if this is a case where a debt has been assigned to multiple collection agencies...and the second suit is from a second agency. I have seen that happen.
its the original debtor in both cases.

when the vehicle was recovered, they resold it and didnt bother to take the plates off it or transfer the title. when the new owner crashed it into a parked car and ran from the scene of the accident the police came looking for us. thats been taken care of, but cost the financier some big money for their illegal activities. this i feel is their retribution. we do not have an issue paying the money we owe, but were not going to pay it more than once. i have "legal shield" so i will contact a lawyer Tuesday and see what i can be done. thanks for all the input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">