• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summon with wrong court and case number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Boomboom9

I was serviced a summons in hand 2 dates ago. The filing date was 9/11/2015 and I just got it 11/4/2015. It was a debit for a medical bill from 2012, in which I paid 9/25/2015. Not knowing they had an open case. So I got all the paperwork together (MC03 answer form, along with documentation ). Filed it was the court on the summons paperwork I received. However the courthouse called me 3 hours later. They have no judge Hoffman and no case number on file. I call the lawyers office the summons came from. The case number I am filing it under is correct and they told me they filed it with the courts. So I go back to the courthouse to pick up all the paperwork. I show them the summons I received. The address is correct, but no case number or judge with the name in there court house. Plus the clerk that signed it, doesn't exist at that court house either. So now what am I suppose to do? I Google a judge hoffman. There is a judge Hoffman in a different county. Address are different. The county he is in, lawyers office nor I live in. Should I contact that court house? Everything states 56B district court. But again no case has been found. I don't know what to do or if this is a scare tactic?

single317dad

Boomboom9, what is the name of your US state? I'm guessing Michigan with the given information.

I'd start by instructing the lawyer to dismiss their case based on my proof of payment in full, and see how far that got me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">