What is the name of your state ? Virginia
My debt was transferred from my credit company to a law firm, which sent me a letter demanding a payment. I send a letter (certified mail) back to them mid Jan 09, and I received a confirmation that the letter was received by the law firm several days later.
The letter was asking for:
* What the money you say I owe is for;
* Explain and show me how you calculated what you say I owe;
* Provide me with copies of any papers that show I agreed to pay what you say I owe;
* Provide a verification or copy of any judgment if applicable;
* Identify the original creditor;
* Show me that you are licensed to collect in my state
* Provide me with your license numbers and Registered Agent
In addition, I clearly stated my new address outside USA.
The law firm absolutely ignored my letter and filed a law suit against me a few days after they received the letter. I was served on my old address in USA by regular mail, not a certified mail. (The claim is for USD 15,000 – 13,000 Credit Card Debt + 2,000 Legal fees)
At the moment, I am summoned to appear before the court in Virginia in late March
I would be extremely grateful, if somebody can help me with the following questions:
If I decide to go to court, and I am not currently in the country, can I appoint somebody to represent me without me being there? If yes, how can I find a lawyer and how much approximately it is going to cost me?
If I decide not to go to court... Was I actually served properly? What are going to be the consequences for me?
Thank you and I appreciate your time.