• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

summons for debt collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Feprincess

What is the name of your state? California

I was served a summons from an MRC Receivables Corp which bought my debt(2003) from a long ago credit card which was bought by a collection agency(2001). I haven't used it since 1998.
My question is: Should I call the law firm who is representing this MRC and try to make a payment deal with them, or is the statue of limitations keep them from garnishing my wages?
They're suing me for 7050 + 1285 in attorney's fees.
My original debt was 4000.
Anyone have a word of advice?
Thank you.

Kanman

What is the name of your state? California

I was served a summons from an MRC Receivables Corp which bought my debt(2003) from a long ago credit card which was bought by a collection agency(2001). I haven't used it since 1998.
My question is: Should I call the law firm who is representing this MRC and try to make a payment deal with them, or is the statue of limitations keep them from garnishing my wages?
They're suing me for 7050 + 1285 in attorney's fees.
My original debt was 4000.
Anyone have a word of advice?
Thank you.
If your last payment on the debt was in 1998 then it is way past SOL. In California, SOL is 4 years. Respond to the summons through the court. Do this immediately because you only have a certain number of days to respond. Use SOL as your response and defense...show up for the court date.

If you make a payment on this, you restart the terms of the debt and SOL will be useless...ie they win.

moburkes

If your last payment on the debt was in 1998 then it is way past SOL. In California, SOL is 4 years. Respond to the summons through the court. Do this immediately because you only have a certain number of days to respond. Use SOL as your response and defense...show up for the court date.

If you make a payment on this, you restart the terms of the debt and SOL will be useless...ie they win.
I took it to mean that OP hasn't USED the card since 1998, not that s/he hasn't PAID on it since then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">