• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons from debt collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Marquee15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

Hi, I got a complaints/summons from the Plaintiff Midland Funding LLC which I think is a debt collection agency. The original creditor is Citibank. It's for the sum of $990.33 and I'm wondering what are my options (If I can evade it would be great).

I got the summons personally from a man on 12/21/2014, and he made me sign a paper that I think was to acknowledge that I received this summon (though in hindsight I should have read through it and made sure it wasn't something else so I'm not sure if this is a big deal) yet the paper is dated 10/14/2014 with no real date about when I need to show up in court, so I'm not sure when I have to answer by. It does say I have to answer on the second Tuesday following date of service but I'm not sure when they mean by that exactly.

It also says that on or about April 30 2012 is when I owed the amount but I'm pretty sure it's been far longer than that, dating back to at least 2008.

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time getting this and I have no idea what I should do. I am currently working and have a car and a house, if that matters.

Last edited:

justalayman

Here's a novel idea;

Pay your debt.

Other than that, it appears the statute of limitations is 6 years so unless it's been more than that they will win a judgment.

I got the summons personally from a man on 12/21/2014, and he made me sign a paper that I think was to acknowledge that I received this summon (though in hindsight I should have read through it and made sure it wasn't something else so I'm not sure if this is a big deal) yet the paper is dated 10/14/2014 with no real date about when I need to show up in court, so I'm not sure when I have to answer by. It does say I have to answer on the second Tuesday following date of service but I'm not sure when they mean by that exactly.
The date that someone wrote up the document that you were served with is not likely to be relevant, neither is the fact that the document doesn't give a court date (often they are not scheduled until later in the proceedings). I don't know the rules of civil procedure in Hawaii, but it sounds like you've got about a week to file an answer to the complaint in court. You were apparently served on Sunday 12/21/14, and the second Tuesday following the date that you were served would be 12/30/14. I don't know if they make an allowance for the fact that there is a holiday in there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">