• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Summons to General Sessions Court , Do I have any options ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midnight_jasmin

I live in Tennessee and I'm being summons to court over a past credit card debt of $10,690 principal plus interest . I've tried contacting the law firm with letters and calls and they haven't returned either . What is going to happen if I go to court ? what happens if I don't go to court ? do I have any options ? I want to make some type of payment arrangement out of court , but no one will help . I sure could use some advice , I've never been in this situation before ...thanks

If you don't go to court, there will be a default judgment entered against you and the judgment creditor will begin to execute on the judgment (garnishment, seizing assets, etc.) depending on what is allowed in your state.

If you do go to court, you can present any defenses you may have to the claim. Do you think you have any? Is this your debt? When was the last payment made on the account?

The creditor is under no obligation to discuss payment arrangments with you. However, if you collect all of your financial information, arrange it in a way that is understandable, and have a realistic payment plan proposal based on that information, you may be able to talk to the lawyer for the creditor in court about a settlement proposal. Make sure that whatever you work out is in writing.

While you have not been in this situation before, thousands have. Read the other posts on this forum and you will get an understanding of the process and your options.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">