• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Surprise $3450 debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jacob1733

What is the name of your state? TN

2 years after my wife and I were married, we received a letter from a collections agency for an old college bill for $3450. My wife had no clue about the bill because her parents were the ones that had paid for school. Her parents said that they didn't pay the final semester for her college because of poor grades. My rebuttal to the collector is that she wasn't the one responsible for her school payment and that they should contact her parents. Her schooling was of course under her SS#, but can they really penalize her if she wasn't the one responsible for paying? She doesn't need the credit from the school (she has pursued other things).

The bill was from 2000 or 2001, and we haven't heard from the collector in almost a year. They have not been persistent. What recourse can they take? Should I be worried if I am not concerned about her credit score?

ami in Cali

Most have to pay/borrow for college. She was blessed imho.

fwiw: I would contact the OC & see how you can pay it off before you end up in court or anyone gets a credit ding or you find a "surprise" lein. Not sure what the SOL is in TN...

Last edited:

racer72

Just because the parents paid the bills does not make them liable for the debt. If the debt was a student loan, it will never go away. Things like this have a bad habit of showing up at just the wrong time, such as when buying a house or financing other large ticket items.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">