• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking items as collaeral for money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hower610

I am from Virginia

I had lent money to a friend and now ex-fiancee for security deposit and first months rent for a home they planned on renting together. My friend and now ex-fiancee have parted ways. Since the ex-fiancee is the one that approached me for help, can I take tools and tool boxes from my friends house (with her permission) that belong to the ex-fiancee and secure them as collateral toward money owed?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I am from Virginia

I had lent money to a friend and now ex-fiancee for security deposit and first months rent for a home they planned on renting together. My friend and now ex-fiancee have parted ways. Since the ex-fiancee is the one that approached me for help, can I take tools and tool boxes from my friends house (with her permission) that belong to the ex-fiancee and secure them as collateral toward money owed?
No, that is known as "stealing."

latigo

I am from Virginia

Why don't you just hi-jack the ex fiancée's automobile? In defense you could claim it was a "collateral" attack.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">