• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Tennessee and Common Property State but a Community Debt State?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chevygirl38305

Under Tennessee State Law can a debt collection agency do the following:

Add a spouse name to the account even if it wasn’t listed on the original account by the original creditor, I didn't sign anything (medical debt). My husband incurred a medical debt and it was turned over to a collection agency. When he went to the emergency room for care he used his insurance (which is in his name only). His insurance only paid partial and he was responsible for the remaining, the insurance is listed in his name only, I’m not on it. I also contacted the hospital and was told that only his name is listed as “responsible party”. This debt occurred in March 08. This collection agency has checked my credit report and has sent me a bill now (only in my name). I talked to a lady who said she checked my credit and didn't need my permission to do so because I am his spouse and I am spousal resonsible under Tennessee / Federal Laws.

ShyCat

Yes, spouses are generally held responsible for medical debt. It's part of our legal responsibility to provide for our spouse. Marriage is not all about legal rights and benefits; it's also about legal duties to each other.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">