• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas wage garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Txscutie4u

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am a Texas resident and a collections agency called me today saying I owed a debit for a loan I had gotten. Called me from a Florida number. Said if I didn't make arrangements to pay it that my wages would be garnished and any assets I owned would be taken... Is this possible in Texas? I have read a lot online saying this isn't possible..

single317dad

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am a Texas resident and a collections agency called me today saying I owed a debit for a loan I had gotten. Called me from a Florida number. Said if I didn't make arrangements to pay it that my wages would be garnished and any assets I owned would be taken... Is this possible in Texas? I have read a lot online saying this isn't possible..
Texas does not allow wage garnishment or seizure of accounts which exclusively contain current wages for civil debt judgments. Those funds can still be garnished for child support, back taxes, student loans, etc.

Texas does allow seizure of property (above exclusion levels), interception of gambling proceeds, and some insurance settlements. Any assets you hold outside Texas will not be similarly exempted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">