• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They garnished my bank account!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abernhardsen

What is the name of your state? Washington

In January my debt was so overwelming I decided to sigh up with a debt consolidation company. They take money out of my bank account every month to pay various creditors and collection agencys I owe. Last week I got a document in the mail called a Writ of Garnishment. It stated that one of the collection agencys had taken me to court and garnished my bank account; which they indeed did in the ammount of $376.23. Then my bank charged me a fee of $75 bringing the total to $451.23. I have been paying this agencey $15 a month through the debt consolidation people and when I started paying them in January I only owed $180.00. Is there any way I will be able to keep my money? Or at least not pay 3 times what I owe? Please help me! That was my rent money!!! :eek:

Some Random Guy

Find out what is going on with that creditor and the debt consolidation company. Some of the less reputable debt consolidation companies will take your money and not pay your creditors. Then after 4-6 months of not paying they will try to negotiate a settlement. If the debt consolidaiton company didn't pay since January, you may have been racking up extra fees that you were not aware of.

But more importantly: you have been sued and lost in court. How did this happen without you knowing about it? Find out where you were sued at and when the trial was and what notice they supposedly gave you that you were being sued. You may be able to get the verdict thrown out if you were not properly served. Call your couty courthouse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">