• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They sued the wrong person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gpatel76

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

Hello,
I am sued by one of the University in my area for not paying the tuition. The problem with this case is that they've got the wrong person. I have only attended that university for one semester and someone else has the same name as I do. They have send me the bill for the university and it doesn't even have my correct STUDENT ID. I really don't want to go to court and settle this matter. I don't want to pay court or attorney FEE. What if I call the attorney and explain the situation and he/she still wants to go to court. What are my options? I have been really stressed since I receive this order. Thank you in advance,

Thanks,
~MP

justalayman

What if I call the attorney and explain the situation and he/she still wants to go to court.
That is the first thing I would have done when getting notice.

What are my options?
convince them they have the wrong person or go to court and show the courts they have the wrong person.

dolebot

You have an obligation to protect yourself yes?

By not showing up or calling or doing anything at all they will obtain a default and may then garnish wages, levy upon your property, etc.

I'd call the lawyer and set up a meeting - its going to happen anyways (during the discovery phase) - and this way you stop bills from piling up on the other side.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">