• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Threat of frozen bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ttttony

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

So 10 years ago, my roommates and I were sued for rent. They got a judgement on us for $4000 but we only paid half of it, collectively. Since the judgement expires in one month, the creditor's attorney sent out Garnishment Summons last week, and I just recieved mine. It claims bank accounts will be frozen within 2 weeks, but there are 4 people on the Summons, the wrong address of my bank, and no amounts or account numbers are filled in. They don't have my address. It's not a wage garnishment either. My account is not frozen, so I withdrew most of my money (which is only 1200). The bank has not sent me any notifications, which I read they are supposed to do within 2 days. I am not in contact with the other 3 people on the Summons and I don't really intend to pay off their parts of the debt.

What can/will they do?
Can I open an account at a different bank?
The judgement expires in 30 days.

FlyingRon

You can pay your debts.

The judgement is expiring but it can be renewed for another ten years.
Yes, they're screwing up by going after the wrong account, but they can correct that error.
Opening another bank account is only going to slightly delay things.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">